Wear It Purple Day 2021 –
Start the Conversation
Wear It Purple was founded in 2010 in response to global stories of rainbow teenagers who suffered heartache and took their own lives because of bullying, harassment, and lack of acceptance of their sexuality or gender identity. It was established to show young people that there are people who support and accept them and that they can be proud of who they are.
The four core principles of Wear It Purple are:
- Advocate for and empower rainbow young people
- Celebrate and promote the value of diversity and inclusion in all community setting
- Raise awareness about sexuality, sex and gender identity and challenge harmful social cultures
- Champion rainbow role-models to help young people establish the confidence to be who they are
(Wear It Purple, 2021)
The University of Sydney Library supports Wear It Purple Day. The theme for Wear It Purple Day 2021 is Start the Conversation, and it serves to remind us about the importance of conversations around gender identity and sexual orientation.
What can you do to show your support on Wear It Purple Day, August 27?
- Wear something purple – a t-shirt, shirt, tie, hat, headband, fascinator, nail polish or boa!
- Download a Wear It Purple Day Zoom background and use it in your meetings
- Download social media collateral and post to your account
- Download and read the Wear It Purple Guide to Misgendering and Pronouns
- Sign up to participate in the Library Wear It Purple Day Quiz