An Orientation Week 2016 Competition
There is magic hidden in the stacks of the University of Sydney, and we want you to help us find it! Just as Humans of New York (and Newtown) uncovers the stories of people on the streets of the city, we want you to share the stories from the books in the University of Sydney Library. Whatever the book may be, it tells a story, and you can dig out some hidden wisdom and share it with the world!
How to participate:
- Follow us on Instagram Sydney_library
- Take a photo of a book in our collection.
- Upload the photo to Instagram and use the hashtag #BooksofUsydLib and tag @Sydney_library in the caption field. Include a little snippet of the book’s story as if it was interviewed
- Be sure to make your Instagram profile public so we can see your entries.
- Enter as many times as you like!
The Library Instagram account will be posting great examples too!
Who can win?
1st prize goes to the post with the most likes
2nd prize will be awarded to the most creative entry chosen by a Library staff committee
What are the prizes?
First place wins a $300.00 JB Hi Fi voucher, and staff choice wins $150.00.
When is the competition?
Start: Mon 16 February 8.00am
Finish: Sun 6 March 2016, 11.59pm
How can I claim my prize?
The University of Sydney Library shall endeavour to contact the winner via its Instagram account within four days after the end of the competition. In the event that a winner cannot be contacted after one week or provide proof of enrolment i.e. student number, an alternate winner will be selected on the basis of the criteria specified and the original winner will forfeit any prize.
Prizes are to be collected from the Administration Office, Level 5 Fisher Library at the University of Sydney. Prize winners will be required to show valid student identification upon prize collection, and may be required to verify the winning Instagram account belongs to them.
Additional terms and conditions (T&C)
- Deemed acceptance: Entry into the Competition is deemed acceptance of these T&C (as may be amended from time to time).
- Your Images: You agree to grant the University of Sydney (‘the University’) a free, non-exclusive, worldwide, perpetual and irrevocable license to use, reproduce, distribute, adapt, publish, broadcast, communicate and perform your entry, in whole or in part for any purpose including the Competition. This may include use in promotional formats broadcast to the public such as through a digital feed via the University of Sydney websites, Facebook pages, Twitter accounts and Instagram accounts, and in subsequent competition promotions (with attribution), or printed for physical events by the University of Sydney. You will not be entitled to any fee for such use.
- Instagram Terms and Conditions apply: Participation in this Competition assumes acceptance of the Instagram terms and conditions, available at their website.
- Disqualifications: The University may, in its absolute discretion, disqualify:
b. any individual who tampers with the entry process, submits an entry that is not in accordance with the Terms, or who has in the opinion of the University, engaged in unlawful or improper conduct that is designed to, or is likely to, adversely affect the fair and proper conduct of the Competition or is generally damaging to the goodwill or reputation of the University. [Moved to 12.]
- Original Image: Each entry must be an original work by you and you must have obtained the permission from all persons appearing in Images and relevant property owners to enter this Competition. You warrant that your entry is not, and its use by the University and Sydney Festival will not, infringe the rights (including intellectual property rights) of any third party.
- Game of skill: The Competition is a game of skill, chance plays no part in determining the winner/s and each validly submitted entry will be individually judged by the University on the basis of originality and creativity, and according to any other criteria specified or adopted.
- Binding decision: A decision of the University in relation to the conduct of the Competition, including the selection of winning entries, is binding and conclusive and no correspondence will be entered into.
- Prizes non-transferrable: Prizes are not transferable or redeemable for cash. The prizes, or any element of the prizes, cannot be exchanged for any other prize/s. The contents of the prizes will be at the University’s sole discretion.
- No expenses: Any expense, including taxes, spare parts, maintenance or delivery costs, associated with accepting, taking or using a prize, will be the prize winner’s sole responsibility.
- No warranties: The University makes no warranties or representations about the fitness for purpose or suitability of any prize and will not accept responsibility for the quality or fitness for any purpose of any prize, or the failure of any prize to be of merchantable quality. If liability under terms implied by legislation cannot be excluded by the University, the liability of the University is limited to re-supplying the tickets or awarding a prize of equivalent value.
- No Responsibility: No responsibility will be taken by the University for any change in dates, times or cancellations or other arrangements that may prevent a winner from accepting, taking or using a prize. The University accepts no responsibility for late, lost, incorrectly submitted or misdirected entries, for any technological malfunction or failure, Internet traffic congestion, or for outdated or incorrect contact details by which you cannot be contacted during business hours on relevant dates.
- Varying the competition: The University reserves the right, in its absolute discretion, at any time before the awarding of the prizes to cancel or vary a competition, or cancel, vary or withdraw its prizes. If the University cancels or varies a competition, or cancels, varies or withdraws its prizes, is not:
a. liable to any person for any costs, loss or damage whatsoever arising out of, or in connection with, such cancellation, variation or withdrawal; or
b. required to conduct the Competition at any other time.
- No liability: You enter the Competition at your own risk. With the exception of liability which cannot be excluded by law, the University is not liable for, and you release the University from, liabilities relating to any direct or indirect loss or damage which is suffered, or for personal injury or sickness suffered or sustained, as a result of entering the Competition, failing to win, winning, accepting or using a prize.